Teachers: Mrs V. Scholfield and Mrs A. Heyworth
Mrs Scholfield is in class on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning and Mrs Heyworth is in class on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday and Friday.
Teaching Assistants: Mrs V. Seddon and Miss R. Gorton
Our Year 1 class governor is Mrs S. Reid
Our class routines...
Children's Reading books should be placed in the class box every morning for checking and exchanging, please make sure your child has their book in school every day.
- We have P.E. lessons on Monday afternoons and Wednesday mornings.
- We have library time on Fridays their library books will only be changed on this day. Please ensure your child brings in their library book each week (this will begin when the new library is up and running).
- We have our spelling test on a Friday morning and new spellings will be sent out on Class Dojo for the following week.
- Children should have their P.E. Kits, reading books and reading records in school every day.
- Children have free access to fruit and water as a snack at break times.
Make sure you check out our secure Class Dojo story for regular photos, videos and updates about our learning!
- Milk will be given out during first break. Please note that milk is not free to all children after reception. If you wish for your child to continue to receive milk please register at: https://www.coolmilk.com/.
If you think you may be entitled to free milk please enquire at: http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/children-education-families/schools/help-with-school-costs/free-school-meals.aspx
In Year 1, our continuous provision learning trays are set up and available for children to access independently to challenge and support their learning in a meaningful way. Although we now have structured lessons, each area is planned to suit the needs of all children and a variety of resources are always available to ensure your child is able to practise the skills and tasks which interest them. All children will be allowed access either when they have finished a guided activity or as part of a guided activity where appropriate. Some children may spend more/less time in the given areas as they continue their development through year one based on their individual needs.
Our Trip to the Fire Station in November to enhance our Topic learning...
We visited the fire station to compare how fire fighters put out fires today and the equipment that they use in contrast to when it was The Great Fire of London in 1666. It was really interesting and this helped us to understand how difficult it was to fight the fire back then and further understand why the fire spread so quickly. We also learned the importance of having a smoke alarm fitted at home and what to do if there was a fire. We loved it! The firemen even let us squirt water!
Please find below helpful links to support the Phonics Screening Test in Year One.
In year 1 we begin to practice cursive script. Some of us even become Handwriting Heroes! If you wish to practice at home, there are some handwriting worksheets available below.