Teacher: Mrs V. Scholfield
Teaching Assistant: Mrs V. Seddon
- We have P.E. lessons on Monday mornings and Tuesday afternoons.
- We have library time on Wednesdays. Home Reader books can be handed in at any time, however their library books will only be changed on this day. Please ensure your child brings in their library book and Home Reader each week.
- A Homework topic web will be stuck into your child's homework book at the beginning of each half term with a number of different tasks. Your child may choose to complete them in any order they wish, however please encourage them to complete as many of the tasks as you can. Please feel free to be as creative as you like with presentation. You can use collage, pictures, photographs, computer work, diagrams, different writing… in fact any way that you can think of that will show their work and make the task exciting and interesting. I hope you will enjoy completing the tasks with your child.
- We have our spelling test on a Friday afternoon.
- Children should have their P.E. Kits, reading books and reading records in school every day.
- Children have free access to fruit and water as a snack throughout the day.
Make sure you check out our secure Class Dojo story for regular photos, videos and updates about our learning!
- Milk will be given out during first break. Please note that milk is not free to all children after reception. If you wish for your child to continue to receive milk please register at: https://www.coolmilk.com/.
If you think you may be entitled to free milk please enquire at: http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/children-education-families/schools/help-with-school-costs/free-school-meals.aspx
Our topic this Half term is called Possums, Pigs and Penguins. Take a look at our Curriculum map below.
Our topic this term is called Penguins, Possums and Pigs! Please take a look at all the exciting things we will be learning about and keep an eye out for pictures and videos of our incredible work.
In Year 1, our continuous provision areas are set up and available for children to access independently to challenge and support their learning in a meaningful way. Although we now have structured lessons, each area is planned to suit the needs of all children and a variety of resources are always available to ensure your child is able to practise the skills and tasks which interest them. All children will be allowed access and free choice either when they have finished a guided activity or when as part of a guided activity where appropriate. Some children may spend more/less time in the given areas as they continue their development through year one based on their individual needs.
Take a look below at some of the learning areas which are available to your child.
Find out more about our work in the outdoor area here:
In year 1 we begin to practice cursive script. Some of us even become Handwriting Heroes! If you wish to practice at home, there are some handwriting worksheets available below.
In Year one children read with a teacher 1 –1 and in a group at least once a week. It would help if you could read at home every day and record any reading you do in your child’s Reading Records so that we know how they are doing at home.
In addition to your child's reading book, they will also be able to select a book of their choice from the school library for free reading.
A Home Reader book will be issued at the beginning of term for your child to record any work they have done surrounding the book. Sometimes, they may just wish to select a few new words they have encountered, draw a picture or write a few sentences about the story and what they liked. However, your child will benefit from discussions surrounding the text to develop a greater understanding of what they are reading.
Some example questions could be:
Why do you think ________ did that?
Do you think that's a good idea? Why/why not?
How do you think the character feels now? How can you tell?
What do you think might happen next?
What else could ________ do to resolve the problem?
Can you think of an alternative ending to the story?
How would you feel if that happened to you?